TOMOKO TAKEDA CANEL/ Senior Beauty Editor PEOPLE StyleWatch
Strength and femininity...Power and femininity - now a days its not rare to see a woman going at it hard in the gym and rocking a really fabulous pair of printed leggings or flouncy tennis skirt while her cute ass high pony is swinging away. Kicking butt and looking gorgeous while you do it...are you about it?
I’m ALL about it! I’m all for whatever makes you feel more confident and beautiful. Lately I’ve been into braids. My go-to hairstyle when I work out is a ponytail, so I braid a small section on one side of my head before pulling everything up into a high pony. It’s subtle, but when I catch yourself in the mirror, it makes me feel good. Do you know what a bubble pony is? It’s like regular pony with elastics cinched down the tail, creating a bubble effect. It’s so easy to do, but looks fun and cool.
OK I tell you this all the time and I know you are gonna say “ You’re so sweet, no it isn’t Neesie” but... your skin ALWAYS looks amazing. Hate to make this about me but... Before my workout should I do anything to my skin? And after?
Pre-workout: I know it’s not breaking news, but I’m gonna say to put on sunscreen if you’re going to be outside. If you’re thinking, “But it stings or makes my skin look chalky,” it just means you need to switch sunscreens. There are so many great ones out there; it’s just a matter of finding the right formula for you. I’ve been using this cream from MDSolarSciences for my face because it doesn’t run into my eyes, and a Hampton Sun spray for my body. I like the mousse from Vichy Capitale Soleil too. They’re both lightweight and not sticky.
Post-workout: Shower as soon as you can--even if it’s a quick rinse. Not because of the stink factor (that helps too...), but mainly for breakouts. And when there’s no shower, a wet wipe does the trick. I like the ones from Yes To Cucumber for my face, and Ban has amazing towelettes for the body. They’re cooling and smell so good.
Your job can be pretty stressful sometimes. Deadlines, meetings, events, deadlines, meetings, events...non-stop. Given that you are a beauty editor I would imagine you would want to stay looking good. So when you need a quick freshing up - what do you do?
Well it depends if you have makeup on or not.
If you don’t have makeup on yet: My go-to is the triple oxygen mask from Bliss. I put it on in the morning after I wash my face--while my face is still damp--and the creamy gel magically transforms into a fizzy foam (it feels like champagne bubbles on your face) and it only takes five mins. I think anyone can spare five minutes (brush your teeth, put on body lotion and your five minutes is up) Afterwards, your skin looks refreshed and alive.
If you have makeup on already: If you know anything about me, I’m all about highlighting. It adds a flattering candlelit glow, like an Instagram filter. Personally I like liquid formulas, but a powder or cream is fine too. I apply it along the tops of my cheekbones, along the bridge of my nose, and on the center of my eyelids and the cupids bow on my lips. The key is to apply a teeny tiny amount -- check yourself in the mirror. If you can see it, you’ve applied too much.
Exercising as you know is a good way to relieve stress so... what does it for you - what kind of exercise helps you shake off the tension and stress?
I like to be active, but to be honest, I’m not one of those people who LOVEs to work out (Ahem, YOU!). I mainly do it to manage stress. I get pretty bored easily, so I like to change up my workouts. A few years ago, i was into kickboxing, and then it was spinning and right now I’m all about running. I usually go in the morning before work, and it’s a great way to start the day. Also I’ve been doing yoga for years: all that controlled breathing and being in the moment help calm my mind. Also, I tend to hold a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders, so yoga is great for that too.
I know I am guilty of always asking you for beauty advice (I’m even guilty of dragging you to the store with me) does it bring you joy to share your knowledge with others?
Of course! I consider it one of the many perks of my job. No matter who you are--beauty junkie or not--all women have a beauty routine and we all want to look and feel beautiful, in our own definition of beauty. Also, there are SO MANY products out there, with trends and technologies constantly changing. It’s hard for me to keep up, so it must be overwhelming for you, am I right? So part of my job (an amazing part) is to test out products. I take home a bag full of products almost every day. And when I come across something that really works--a mascara, an eye cream, makeup remover, whatever--it’s really exciting and sharing that knowledge with my friends and family gives me such joy. When I tell someone a beauty tip or recommend a beauty product, the reaction I get is priceless. Everyone gets so excited--and that makes me feel so good.
What 5 beauty items can you NOT live without? and why?
1. Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare - Alpha Beta® Peel Original Formula: They’re anti-aging towelettes that are so gentle, you can use them practically daily. They’re great for pretty much everything--acne, pores, spots, wrinkles, you name it. I’ve been using them for over three years now and it’s really made a difference on my skin. www.sephora.com
2. The Tangle Teezer: How you treat hair when’s it’s wet is so important (it’s super fragile). Brushing it is usually a no-no but this brush is so gentle, you can use it on sopping wet hair. I keep mine in the shower for combing through conditioner and detangling. It’s also great for brushing out knots post-swim. www.tangleteezer.com
3. Lancôme’s Hypnose Drama mascara: You know how you get on a bad hair day? That’s the way I feel about my lashes. If I put on a bad mascara, I have a bad lash day and it can actually put me in a bad mood. I like a lashy, dramatic look, but not when it looks like I tried hard. This one leaves my lashes soft and fluttery, as if it’s really all my lashes! www.sephora.com
4. CND’s Vinylux polish: I know I sound like an ad, but Vinylux gives me all the perks of a gel mani (fast drying time, long lasting and gel-like shine) without the annoying soak-off. Mine usually lasts a good ten days, sometimes two weeks! Bloodline (classic red) and Fedora (inky purple) are my go-to shades. www.cnd.com
5. Shiseido Benefiance Pure Retinol masks: They’re pricy, but they make your skin insanely glowy--instantly! They’re sheet masks, and they have ones for eyes and face. Both are equally amazing. I use it rightbefore a big event, like a birthday or wedding. www.sephora.com
I resolve to move by....
I resolve to move by making sleep a priority. After a good night’s rest, not only am I a happier, more pleasant person but it also helps me make healthier choices the next day. Like waking up earlier to go work out.